A number users responded to the question “What are the advantages of hiring someone who has been in the U.S. Military?” Of the responders, retired Marine sergeant and current hiring manager Jon Davis outlined ten key reasons employers should hire military veterans.
1. Veterans come from a previous culture built for mission accomplishment in mind.
2. Veterans have ingrained leadership talents
The average age of a Marine, Davis notes, is 19. At 20, most Marines become non-commissioned officers who are placed in leadership positions. As one advances through the military’s ranks, the burden of leadership becomes greater and greater.
3. Veterans take their responsibilities seriously
4. Intuition is a skill, and the military teaches it
5. Military people will openly tell you when something is wrong
Military personnel have a questioning and honest mentality, and will not be afraid of telling bosses when an idea could use a second look.
6. Military people will get the job done
7. When given the necessary support, veterans are extremely capable
8. Veterans are independent
Veterans are more likely than other demographic groups to start their own businesses, and possess a resourcefulness can help companies grow quickly from the inside.
9. Military personnel know the meaning of hard work
10. The government pays for veteran education
The government provides veterans with financial assistance for pursuing higher education. By hiring a veteran, companies ensure that they will have employees who can consistently improve while on the job through continuing education initiatives.